Garrett being entrusted into our care is not just a wonderful thing -- it is an honorable responsibility. I am very happy to say that I am not just Garrett's mom -- I am Garrett's religious instructor, his protector, his teacher, his caregiver and his loving mom.
All of this HUGE job requires a whole mess of planning and a whole village of experts. Books, doctors, caring family and friends, and most importantly God's guidance. I have never really shared the "grand plan" since really it has been refined as we go and learn more. But I wanted to write it down for my sake and in case anyone wanted to know the method to my madness :-)
Garrett's first year home:
#1 focus -- to teach him about family life: God's love, family love, trust, his/family roles.
#2 focus -- nourish his body properly
#3 focus -- medically provide him the anatomically correct mouth/throat to allow him to speak
Garrett's second year home:
#1 focus -- to teach him to love and respect himself
#2 focus -- had to carry over the "anatomically correct mouth/throat"
#3 focus -- develop his gross and fine motor skills
Garrett's third year home (we are just starting this year):
#1 focus -- to learn social skills
#2 focus -- develop his speech and language
#2 focus -- have to carry over the "gross and fine motor" skills (broken arm/misdiagnosted left)
Garrett's fourth year home:
#1 focus -- to learn to love learning and responsibility
#2 focus -- will definitely be carrying over "speech and language"
#3 focus -- develop hand/eye hand/foot coordination thru team sports to reinforce social
Garrett's fifth year........ The general rule for adopted children (minus the disability) is that "extra" help is expected to be needed for as long as they lived in an institution. So for Garrett this was 4.5 years. Expecting than that at 9 years old (3rd grade) there should be no noticeable (except speech) "catch-up" from his orphanage days.
There are over 30 people that have helped us come up with this plan. WOW!!!! Only God's plan can take credit for all the guidance and care that has gone into loving Garrett. Amazing!!! I look back on the days of deciding to adopt and preparing for the adoption......and the absolute fear that "we" could not do it. If I ever doubt that I can trust God to provide --- all I have to do is look at the miraculous actions of these 30 people and know God's plan can be trusted.
This is Garrett's "normal" day in his "3rd" year home.
6am wake up - He gets dressed for school, brushes his teeth, cleans his room -- all by himself.
630am bfast - Dad is home in the am with him. Bfast has lots of protien and fruit of course! Dad reads a bible story during bfast. Working with "anticipation" of what may happen next.
7ooam speech - speech therapy homework
720am ball - game of toss - counting how many throw/catches before someone drops the ball
730am - last minute stuff and off to school
8oo-300pm school - typical classes plus spanish and computer
300pm snack/homework
400pm therapy - speech on monday/wednesday. occupational therapy on thursday. karate on tuesday. music/play on friday.
500pm nothing :-)
600pm dinner
630pm table time - right now working on fine motor with left hand
700pm bath/story/teeth/prayers/bed
It is a full day. And he is a real trooper about it all. And I am just amazed at what God has given to us. If you all could see me now.. ... ... nothing but tears. Thank you for all your love for our sweet Garrett.

This is his "fine motor" station. Such fun :-)

Look at the little man using his left hand with that hammer!